Monday, February 23, 2009

The Raw Story | Sean Penn acceptance speech calls for equal rights

The Raw Story | Sean Penn acceptance speech calls for equal rights

"For those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect, and anticipate their great shame, and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support. We've got to have equal rights for everyone," said Penn.

Penn continued, "And there are these last 2 things. I'm very, very proud to live in a country that is willing to elect an elegant man president, and a country who, for all its toughness, creates courageous artists, and this is in great due respect to all the nominees, creates courageous artists who despite sensitivity that sometimes has brought enormous challenges, Mickey Rourke rises again, and he is my brother."


This video is from ABC's 81st Annual Academy Awards, broadcast Feb. 22, 2009.

Dustin Lance Black accepts Oscar for best original screenplay

Dustin Lance Black accepted the Oscar for best original screenplay for "Milk." In his acceptance speech, Black talked about how moving to California effected his life. "It gave me the hope one day I could live my life openly as who I am and then maybe even I could even fall in love and one day get married," he said.

"But most of all, if Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he'd want me to say to all the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches, by the government or by their families that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures who have value. And that no matter what anyone tells you, God does love you."



This video is from ABC's 81st Annual Academy Awards, broadcast Feb. 22, 2009.

No comments: