Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Lez Get Real: Yes on Prop. 8 Ads Target Gay and Lesbian Websites

Lez Get Real: Yes on Prop. 8 Ads Target Gay and Lesbian Websites

At first I thought it was a fluke.

I visited Lez Get Real to see what the other ladies have posted recently, and to my dismay there was a banner ad for Yes on Prop. 8 right there on the homepage, under our featured blog post.

All I could think was - YUCK. I immediately changed our Google Ad settings to avoid having these ads display on our blog, and changed our ad from a 'text/image' based ad space to a 'text only' ad space. I figured that this would eliminate the banner ad from displaying on our blog, and I was right.

However, it didn't stop the Yes on Prop. 8 campaign from running it's misleading ads on our site in 'text only' form.

They are running ads with the header "Gay Marriage" and "Support Marriage Rights", which suggest that visiting their website will give you information on supporting gay marriage. Of course when you click on these ads and visit the website, ProtectMarriage.com, they proceed to push the idea that marriage should "only be between a man and a woman".


I also checked out our blog's social network on Ning, because Ning displays Google Ads on our site there, and I found that there were once again misleading Yes on Prop. 8 campaign ads in favor of banning gay marriage showing on our very lesbian website.



From what I can see, the Yes on Prop. 8 campaign is targeting gay and lesbian websites, using keywords for it's ad campaigns that are relevant to the LGBT community. This leads me to believe that the Yes on Prop. 8 campaign is targeting closeted and questioning gays and lesbians, and appealing to them for their vote to ban gay marriage. Isn't it sick!?


Full story click link above




Posted by ~Julie Phineas~ at 6:30 PM

No comments: